Thursday 11 February 2010

Blinded by the lights.

My new pair of evolv shoes arrived on Tuesday. As I opened the box, I was only looking for the right foot. That was my third right boot for this campaign: Heels need to be good and tight. The afternoon was highly frustrating, great conditions (3degrees and a North-Easterley) with the annoyance of snow showers. Everytime the rock almost dryed it snowed again. I left having done little more than warm up as the low clouds blocked the last of the drying sun.


I returned even more determined on Wednesday yet suffered the same problem. I gave up amidst a particularly fierce hail storm, and drove back towards Leeds. As I got to the top of Pool bank the sun came out and I could see blue sky stretching past Harrogate. Sod it.


I turned around and waited out the few remaining flurries parked up overlooking Nidderdale, with views across Brimham, Whitehouses and beyond.
By mid afternoon with some of the usual tricks employed the blocs were in perfect condition. The sun was there to dry, yet the shower clouds protected its dominance and the rock was sheltered from the breeze at a cool 4 degrees.
Andi_e turned up - a lucky mascot after Dialectics, yet I fell 3 times due to cold fingers. It can be a real fine line and take some calculation to be warm yet cool.
The fourth attempt was well executed; The sun warmed the rock gently for a couple of minutes, and as another shading and cooling cloud of snow flurries began I breathed into the start. This time my breath took me through to the nose and I was eyeing the final sloping pinch. Toe hook and heel in opposition, cut-off and wedge that crack. When that finish feels easy I'll eat my white hat.
Andi ticked Rageh too so a great day all round, now we must move up a level. I'm not sure whether the footage would be of interest to anyone. Again I might throw it up for a limited time?

4 comments:

GCW said...

Moving images are always well received :-)

Keeg said...

Effort, now get the video where I can see it:O)

uptown said...

You both now have access on my vimeo page, excuse the grunts - I had swine flu. I expect at least one of you to repeat it!

GCW said...

Won't be me.