Wednesday 24 February 2010

PEOC

There were some good conditions late yesterday. The easterley chilled and dried whilst the clouds kept the temperature down. The usual low fly past beckoned a good session and after Fat punters' and Rageh to warm up on I Growled my way along the East wing. Growled is such a pure sculpted line - rising waves of slopers, arranged in clusters like octaves in piano keys, to allow feet follow and feet first progression. Once your body becomes accustomed to its needs, the climbing flows and like in many such tests is rendered rhythmic, balanced in that initial success.

Sheltering and drinking coffee in the Spin Ghar cave I was thinking through a new challenge. A couple of forays into the lefthand Spin Ghar exit and my index finger split on the rugosity. I wasn't beaten though and with tape and some grunt PEOC was in the bag.

The 'Master Katz man' appeared with news of project success along the dale at Bat buttress. He showed me some footage of the new Vlad sitter on his phone - an explosive 8a+ where the positions look hard to adopt, yet alone to move between. He was also trying Growled yet skin and the fading light didn't help.

I split my middle finger on Whitefinger and so called it a day too. The appeal of this place is the hard-won nature of any success and its ambience.

3 comments:

GCW said...

Glad to see you've sorted out your Webb Parsons chalk bag.

bonjoy said...

Great stuff, managed to catch this one before it disappeared! The moves out on PEOC and Exit Strategy look fantastic! Need to get back there. Looks like a good place to bring Jnr, short walk, flat grass and shelter.

uptown said...

Hope you've adapted to sleepless nights Jon. It'd be great to catch up - let me know when you're planning a trip, and I'll meet up or at least forward you a guide.