Friday 28 May 2010

If you go down to the woods today.....

Here are the first, second and third ascents of the eso-classic 'a little sparkle' at Guisecliff, North Yorkshire. It's like a 7a deliverance, though not as popular due to the location, which has always been part of the appeal to me. The moss has grown back over the starting footholds, and the heather fights its way over towards the juggy top, yet with a soft brush and a couple of pads you too can soak in an ambience that time forgot.
I treated the holds on 'BC' yesterday, this problem means a great deal to me and I'd like to see it remain. It too was mossed up, which is incredible seeing as I first climbed it just two years ago. That block is more than just climbing, it has an intimate sense of place to me, where thoughts and fears were confronted. Where, along with the Cliffs Jumping Bean and Brincador, dark clouds could disperse, yet precious memories remain. I'm going to try to get a video of it next time I'm there - I know you'll all love the campus finish, but will anyone other than the talented Mr Peckitt ever find it?

3 comments:

bonjoy said...

Cracking prob that and a good day at the crag.

Get strong or die trying said...

I remember that problem, excellent little gem. Shame I was the only one from our team not to it!

Get strong or die trying said...

Here is a wee video I made from our trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO1AUN4zrrw